Thursday, April 11, 2013

B.I.O.N.I.C.

Believe It Or Not I Care

One of my favorite things about the ASCA School Counselor monthly magazine is the National School Counselor of the Year issue. Why? I steal all the ideas that make them an award winning counselor like this one.......

Believe It Or Not I Care is the brainchild of Sandy Austin, School Counselor of Year. She developed her first team at her school in Colorado.  Since presenting her idea at the ASCA Conference in 2007  over 160 schools have started a B.I.O.N.I.C. team. More information can be found at: http://www.sandyaustin.com/restoringhopes/

The mission of the B.I.O.N.I.C. team is to develop an organization designed to help fellow students, students’ families, and staff through challenging and happy times.

            B.I.O.N.I.C. Goals.
·      To make new students feel welcome
·      To reach out to hospitalized students
·      To reach out to students with extended illness/health conditions
·      To reach out to students and their families, and staff that experience the death of a loved one
·      To celebrate achievements and special events in the lives of students and staff

 How do we do this? Here are some of the projects we have done this year:

*Collected can goods for Greenhouse Ministries
*Had a new student luncheon
*Created a mentor/mentee program. Students must check in with their mentee (a new student to our school) once a month. It can be anything from sitting with them at lunch to leaving them a sweet surprise or note on their desk/locker. When they check in they tell me and I give them a punch on their card (I used my passes). If they get 5 punches I give them a small prize (coupon for free ice cream, small toy, etc.)
*They say happy birthday to our teachers on the announcements.
*They have made get well cards for our sick students.
*They made a welcome back banner for our principal after she returned from surgery.
*They went shopping for our Christmas Angels at the holidays.
*Helped host a Santa's Workshop at the preschool where students could shop for gifts for their parents.
*Made a Harlem Shake video to cheer us up during testing time.

These are just a few of the fun things we have done.

Speaking of showing you care, please to show our animals you care.

Tennessee Supporters:
ARC brought to your attention the other day the “anti-whistle-blower” or “Ag-Gag” bill (SB 1248) currently before the Tennessee legislature. This bill will go before the Senate for a vote Tuesday morning. ARC agrees with Humane Tennessee PAC and other animal protection organizations that this bill will serve only to make investigations and prosecutions of animal cruelty more difficult. Tennessee residents should use the link below to contact their Senator TODAY and urge them to VOTE NO on this bill. Thank you. Find your representative here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators

No comments:

Post a Comment