Friday, January 29, 2016

National School Counselor Week 2016



It's almost time for National School Counselors Week- a week we can advocate for our programs, share with stakeholders how we can help them, and celebrate our awesome jobs. Here's my plan for 2016. What are you doing?


Me and my AMAZING practicum student




School wide weekly events and contests:

Monday- Teacher Treats
Here’s the scoop:
It’s National School Counseling week. Stop by the work room for a treat.
I found this cute treat on Pinterest that I'll recreate for my teachers.

Tuesday 
I love ...
I love being a school counselor because my students rock. Why do you love having a school counselor? Complete the sign and take a picture with your class/grade level team. Every class that sends me a picture or shares with me will get a special treat.


 Wednesday

K-2 Contest
Don’t forget to watch the Character Education mystery reader video. Teachers have your students guess and vote on who they think the mystery reader is for February. E-mail your guess (1 per class) and I will put the correct answers in a drawing for a prize.

*Each month we film a teacher or staff member reading our character ed book of the month. The students will guess who this month's mystery reader is.

Thursday

3-5th Contest
What is bullying? We often confuse bullying and conflict- ask your class to write the definition of bullying and e-mail your guess (1 per class).  I will put correct answers in a drawing for a prize.

*We've been learning a lot about bullying in recent months. I am looking for three parts to the winning definition: 1)it's negative, unwanted, aggressive behavior 2)it's repeated 3)there is an imbalance of power

Friday
Counselors encourage students #reachhigher! Wear your favorite college gear and take a #reachhigher selfie. Learn more about this amazing initiative at https://www.whitehouse.gov/reach-higher


*This idea comes from the ASCA Photo week challenge. I will also be doing the photo week challenge.
Get the signs and ideas here: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/school-counselors-members/about-asca-%281%29/national-school-counseling-week


Daily announcements:

I created daily announcements based on the ASCA suggested announcements check my announcements out here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6T4rR2pFj5UnZKV1hrWDJURWc/view?usp=sharing

Newsletter:
To kick off the week I created a newsletter for my teachers and staff. Check out the entire newsletter here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6T4rR2pFj5N3BEbjB1b3F5Snc/view?usp=sharing

 It gives an overview of events, explains why we have school counselors and explains that the week is designed to share about the program and is not an "appreciation week," includes an about me section, and fun things in our cooking theme.

Get more ideas here:
http://freespiritpublishingblog.com/2016/01/19/10-ways-to-celebrate-national-school-counseling-week/
http://freespiritpublishingblog.com/2013/02/07/counselors-corner-celebrating-national-school-counseling-week-part-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment