Thursday, June 13, 2013

The power of words, the power of our students.

My Pittie Mix Brooklyn
Today I meet with the Nashville PITTIE team to help brainstorm an upcoming PSA we are shooting about ending discrimination  and the discrimination we face every day. We shared our stories and heartaches. I shared that last week I took my dog to Petsmart where a dog ran up to her and started playing. They were having fun and I started to talk to the doggies dad. After a few mintues he commented on how cute she was and then asked the dreaded question, "what kind of dog is she?" As soon as the words pit bull mix left my mouth he grabbed his dog and ran. Brooklyn looked devastated.  I was heartbroken, her breed had cost her a friend.

When these things happen I want to scream, would you teach your child to discriminate? What would you do if you take your child to the park and soon see that your child has made a new friend? Would you allow them play,  to form a friendship? What if you then found out that child was Jewish or Muslim? Would you grab your child and run?

As the team discussed what we can do to encourage tolerance in our community, a member Jill Foster (an amazing, heroic middle school counselor) whipped out her phone.  She hit play and within a few moments I knew I was going to be in tears.

Here is the video she presented. I encourage you to watch it, discuss it, and share it!!!!



2013 Spread the Word to End the Word Hawkins Middle School Best Buddies




The Hawkins CDC teacher, TA's and students did an awesome job on this video and Jill and I are very proud of them!! Enjoy and spread the word to end the word!!! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment