Friday, April 8, 2016

Book Clubs As Small Groups

This year my SMART goals were: 

To increase reading achievement amongst students with disabilities by 2% in a year.
To decrease the number of students who self report that they disagree that student behavior is usually positive from 11.6% to 10%.
To increase reading achievement amongst economically disadvantaged students by 2% in a year.
When I was writing my closing the gap action plan I was thinking about what services I currently provide and could provide to reach these goals. I knew that I have about 400 books (yep not kidding check out my list here. So I aligned each of my lessons with a book. So every guidance lesson they heard me re aloud.



Aug./Sept.
Oct.
Nov.
Dec.
K

Back To School

Listening
Skills



1

Back To School/

Listening Skills

Problem Solving/
Conflict Resolution/
Point of view

Citizenship

Responsibility

Friendship

Tolerance/
Jealousy/
Conflict Resolution
2


School Rules
“Why Do I Have To Eat Off

Appreciating Differences

Tattle vs. Tell


Dog/Personal Safety Safety

notes


3



School Rules/
Consequences
Conflict Resolution/
Respect




Tattle vs. Tell




Citizenship/
Decision Making




Friendship/
Inclusion
4

School Rules/
Consequences

Fairness
Self Confidence

Needs vs. Wants
Fairness

Friendship/
Inclusion
5









School Rules

Goal Setting


Decision Making/
Peer Pressure


Bullying/
Conflict Resolution
Bully”

Bullying






Jan.
Feb.
Mar.
Apr.
May
K`

Feelings/
Anger

Responsibility

Honesty

Friends

Fairness

Sportsmanship

Problem Solving
1

Rules Review
Skills for Success

Courage
Self Esteem

Managing Emotions

Apologize

Fairness

Sportsmanship



Personal Safety
2

Rules Review/
Bucketfiling

Caring
Respect

Self Esteem

Conflict Resolution

Decision Making

Conflict Resolution


notes






3









Bullying









Bullying/
Power of Bystanders
“One”









Perseverance

















Stress and managing emotions
4

Accepting Differences

Bullying/
Kindness

Perseverance


Stress Managing Emotions

Career
5

Bullying
Peer Pressure

Stress/ Managing Emotions
Relaxation Centers


Courage/
Perseverance

College and Career

Middle School Transition
















Why? Well if you are coming to #ASCA16 you can find out then, but if you aren't coming to New Orleans then I'll let you learn why it's so important here and here.  If your brain is ready for
summer I'll summarize and share some data:
Research collected on middle school read-alouds showed that 58 percent of teachers read aloud to their students – and nearly 100 percent of reading and special education teachers. (http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/05/14/why-reading-aloud-to-older-children-is-valuable/). There is a ton more research out there, but you get it.

Ok so how else was I going to reach that goal? I shifted some of my small groups to become book focused/based. So I created some book clubs. It's been amazing. I've gotten positive perception data back from everyone involved and I can't wait to get my data at the end of the year.


Who: 3rd- 5th grades- I have them split up into boys and girls groups. There are about 6 students (max) per group.


Where: my office


When: lunch. You know how lunch bunches go. They come in a few min. late because they've been going through the lunch line. They are so busy eating that they can't talk or they talk so much they don't eat. Then you have to let them leave a few min. early so they can clean up and be back in class. So, I read aloud for the first few min. as they eat. When they are done they pick up the book and follow along. Sometimes we run late, but I haven't had one teacher complaint and I think it's because they know we are reading. 


What: Here are the books we are reading and a little about the activities we might do.


5th Grade Boys-


If you haven't read this book before you should. It's about a student that doesn't work (academic), doesn't have friends (social) and struggles to cope (emotional). He gets sent to the counselor and well enjoy. After we read we have our study guide that I got here. We talk and then spent time connecting to their own lives. This is my favorite group- I can't even begin to explain how amazing they are. In fact they are so amazing they each came up with their won academic, social, or emotional goal based on a connection they made with the book.


4th Grade Girls-


 
This is a great book to talk about bullying and relationships. Each week we would read a chapter and make connections. You can get a curriculum guide to help lead the discussion here.  There is also a movie so at the end of the group we come back together and watch the movie as a special treat.


3rd and or 4th grade girls:

How many referrals (self or teacher) do you get that about a group of three girls that just can't seem to get along? Oh me a million! So we started the "Drama Llama" lunch bunch. The best part of this book is the "girl talk" section at the end of each chapter. We read and then talk. They could talk forever!

To make our drama Llama Club more fun I gave them these fun reminder cards designed by another counselor in my county. 
In each square I write the date they meet and then we punch the card when they come. It helps me track attendance and helps them focus on how many visits we have left.
I love book clubs. I've been doing them my entire career and they are so rewarding. Want to start your own kids book club check out this article by Bookopolis to get you started: https://mayorofbookopolis.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/how-to-run-a-kids-book-club/

What is your favorite book for student book clubs?






No comments:

Post a Comment